Summary Page: Former House
Name: Aguilar (de Campoo), S. Maria la Real
Circary at the Time: Hispania
Years of Activity: 1169-1835
Gallery: Click Here
Here (Source: © MapQuest http://www.mapquest.com)
Monasticon Praemonstratense: (III, 237)
Approximate modern location: In the northern part of Spain on highway A 67 between Santander and Valladolid, northwest of Burgos. .
Elm-Number [See below]: 244*
Other Comments: A famous Abbey founded by Alphonsus VII, King of Castile, in two distinct locations. The first, called St. Augustine, in Herrera de Pisuerga (1150). In 1169 it was transferred to a very ancient monastic location, Aguilar de Campóo, and renamed for B.M.V. Today some remnants of the altars, pictures and statues may be found in the parish church of St. Michael.
* This listing (and the numbers, with a few adjustments after 1995) is based on the map contained in Kaspar Elm's Norbert von Xanten: Adliger, Ordensstifter, Kirchenfürst, Wienand Verlag, Köln, 1984, page 328-329.