Summary Page: Former House
Name: Nowy Sacz, S. Spirit and B.M.V.
Circary at the Time: Polonia
Years of Activity: 1409-1784
Gallery: Click Here
Map: Click Here (Source: © MapQuest http://www.mapquest.com)
Monasticon Praemonstratense (I, 342)
Approximate modern location: In the city of the same name, in the mountains of the central Krakow region, Poland
Elm-Number [See below]: 371*
Other Comments: We are grateful to Dr. Joanna Szczesna of the Catholic University of Lublin, Poland, for the following comments regarding Nowy Sacz.
"A citizen of Krakow, by the name of Langseydel, founded the Gothic
and Eleven Thousand Virgins was in 1400, near an already existing hospital and poorhouse. Nine years later, the king of churchof The Holy Spirit , Wladyslaus Jagiello, founded a cloister for Norbertine Canons next to this church. Poland
In 1611 there was a fire, and the church was partly destroyed - among other damages the vaulting of the nave collapsed. After about 10 years these damages were removed and the nave received a new cradle dome. The cloister walk became an aisle and the original sacristy was changed into St. Anne’s chapel. In 1747 church was renovated and in 1755 the western tower was built.
After the first partition of
in 1784, this Norbertine house was secularized and the church was changed into a magazine. Poland
In 1831 the church was taken over by the Jesuits, and its sacred function was restored. Since that time its history is closely tied to the Jesuit community – not only its religious role, but also its educational and cultural activities.
Now the church performs the function of a parochial church and the sanctuary of BV Mary of Consolation, but the parish staff remain Jesuits.
The present church is of mixed gothic and baroque style. At the north and west remain some cloister buildings. Fragments of them are added to the church as an aisle and two side chapels. The church is single aisled, having a chancel with gothic, ogive shaped windows. The façade has a tower with a vestibule at ground level. The walls of the nave and chancel are supported by buttresses. The nave and chancel are of the same height and are covered with a common roof. On the roof there is a tower for an ave-bell.
Inside of the chancel there is late gothic vaulting from the end of 15th century. In the nave there is baroque cradle vaulting with lunettes from the 17th century. Three bays are marked with straps. In the nave there are also three baroque portals (1620, 1731 and 1750).
Most of the elements of the interior equipment of the church date to 19th and 20th centuries (side altars (1928-32), pulpit (1891), organ (1933), baptismal font (1958). There are extremely few pieces which can be connected with Norbertine times:
In the neogothic high altar from 1890, built in order to harmonize with chancel’s original gothic interior, there is the cultus effigy of the Blessed Virgin Mary and Child. It is a temper on a wooden panel, and probably it is a work of a local school of painting. The painting was made in 1568.
In the side altar of St. Anne there is an Italian, renaissance painting which represents St. Anne with Mary and Child and Veraicon made in 1636 (a replica of 15th century Italian representation, which is in St. Margaret’s church in the same town).
* This listing (and the numbers, with a few adjustments after 1995) is based on the map contained in Kaspar Elm's Norbert von Xanten: Adliger, Ordensstifter, Kirchenfuerst, Wienand Verlag, Koeln, 1984, page 284-285.