Summary Page: Former House
Name: Pont-ŕ-Mousson, B.M.V.
Circary at the Time: France
Years of Activity: 1126 - 1792
Gallery: Click Here
Map: Click Here (Source: © MapQuest http://www.mapquest.com)
Monasticon Praemonstratense (III, 93)
Approximate modern location: Dep. de la Meurthe et Moselle, near Nancy, France, at TWO locations:
1. S. Marie-Au-Bois (S. Maria in Nemore), B.M.V. and S. Stephen. In a forested valley between Vilcy and Prény northwest of Pont-ŕ-Mousson, a short distance above the west bank of the Moselle. Hermitage.
2. Pont-ŕ-Mousson, B.M.V. In the city of the same name along the Moselle. This abbey was built as the hermitage above expanded and began its move into an urban environment. This was the most famous abbey of the Circary, and the site of the great sixteenth century reform movement known as the "Congregation of Ancient Rigor" (Congregatio Antiqui Rigoris) started by its Abbot, Lairuelz.
Elm-Number [See below]: 139*
Other Comments: See comments above. This was the headquarters of the "Congregatio Antiqui Rigoris" This property was offered to the Order by the French Government after World War II, but was in such poor condition that the offer was declined.
* This listing (and the numbers, with a few adjustments after 1995) is based on the map contained in Kaspar Elm's Norbert von Xanten: Adliger, Ordensstifter, Kirchenfürst, Wienand Verlag, Köln, 1984, page 328-329.